Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online Empty
PostSubject: Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online   Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Richard Garriot rocks, can't wait to see what his next game will be after this info!

He's correct though, all we ever do is fight, never anything else...and that very well may be the primary reason why I'm losing interest in MMOs ~ they're always the same thing over and over with a different skin...

Quote :

My job allows me to meet many interesting people, and meeting my childhood heroes is definitely a huge bonus. When I found myself speaking with Richard Garriott for 45 minutes, I felt the need to pinch myself. This is the man who created Ultima, crafted one of the earliest virtual worlds in Ultima Online, and then used the money to go to freakin' space. We'll have more from the fascinating discussion a little later, but I wanted to share his answer to my most pressing question: is he playing the games he dreamed of while working on the Ultima series?

"What Ultima Online did very well, and what I think has never been recaptured, is allow you to become a citizen of that world in a very personal and relevant way that is unique to you and not like anyone else," he told Ars. "As brilliant as World of WarCraft is—of course it's an astonishingly well-done product—but everyone is pretty much a fighter. Your life is, you're a fighter."

It's that lack of differentiation in experience and jobs that Garriott misses. "There aren't really people that own a shop in town square and that's what they do, and they have a friend who's a fishermen, and that's what he does," he explained. "With Ultima Online, what was so cool about it is that there were people who were just fishermen, and who never fought monsters, who didn't care to buy any armor or craft a sword—they were fishermen."

Garriott describes these characters going into the virtual pubs to drink beers and laughing at the fighters who go off and risk their lives. "That kind of diversity of life has still never been recaptured in any game since, and it's something I hope to recapture in my next work," he said.
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Celas Seyrana

Celas Seyrana

PostSubject: Re: Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online   Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 11:10 pm

aye i like lord British, i had to pleasure of playing tabula rasa with him during the closed beta, sadly he didn't do any of my suggestions but he did liston
Back to top Go down
Talos Valcoran

Talos Valcoran

PostSubject: Re: Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online   Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 am

good old TR fun game, shame it died tho
Back to top Go down
Celas Seyrana

Celas Seyrana

PostSubject: Re: Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online   Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 9:48 pm

i loved it, was fun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online   Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lord British on what games can learn from Ultima Online
Page 1 of 1