Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

What are you watching/reading

Go down 
+21
Elocke Sern
Reirn Naitsu
Roan Varuna
Celas Seyrana
Raijin Tsuji
Foju Kaisiepo
Luxtra Vherr
Satha Kuuetsija
Xalic Austrict
Lathara
Vaulond
Fauste
Citrond
Florina
Ayaneko
Malik
Ianthe Reine
Aziel
Kith
Khalus Akuhei
Tareith
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Raijin Tsuji

What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 6:01 pm

i would love some more adult fantasy book recomendations because all my friends sad to say only read books like eragon-.-......
Back to top Go down
Elocke Sern

Elocke Sern

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Start with Eye of the World to see if it grabs ya.

Next try Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth books, start with Wizard's First Rule.

Brandon Sanderson is a good author, you can try his Elantris or Mistborn.

I'm liking Jim Butcher's Fury series. Start with Furies of Calderon.

Very adult fantasy book would be George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Start with A Game of Thrones.

Terry Brooks has some good ones, although sometimes they bore me, but you can start with The Sword of Shannara.

I'm sure there are more but those are my favs that are considered quite popular.
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Wheel of Time? Ohh Eye of the World will grab you... but beware...

I stopped after reading The Path of Daggers (8th book). It didn't advance the storyline at all... I felt like I was reading All My Children.

I heard from friends of mine that books 9-11 weren't any better. Jordan died before finishing the series, but Brandon Sanderson finished books 12 and 13... 13th comes in November I believe.

I loved The Sword of Shannara. There's also a 4-part series (the Heritage of Shannara) that I could not put down...
Back to top Go down
Elocke Sern

Elocke Sern

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Yep, Path of Daggers was a filler book, but it picks up so much better after that.
Back to top Go down
Monk Deode

Monk Deode

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 pm

I used to really like "Wheel of Time". The last book RJ wrote though seemed to just be artificially closing story lines since he knew people were pushing him to end it. Some unsatisfactorily if I remember. I'll read the last three at some point I think, but it is hard to build up momentum for it.

"Song of Ice and Fire" is a solid read now. I think I've re-read those books at least 3 times each. It is really hard not to be one of those rabid fans clawing at Martin to get the next book out... but the man is living his life and focusing on what he wants to focus on. I just hope it doesn't turn out to another unfinished series. I don't think anyone would have anywhere near the eye for detail that Martin has. Well, Zombie Tolkein might, but then half the book would be Greyjoy Sailing Songs.

Oh. "Game of Thrones" HBO Series? Yes, please.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Monk Deode wrote:

Oh. "Game of Thrones" HBO Series? Yes, please.

Jan 2011 I believe...well just the pilot, then prolly another year until the series would begin.
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Celas Seyrana

Celas Seyrana

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:43 am

Monk Deode wrote:
I used to really like "Wheel of Time". The last book RJ wrote though seemed to just be artificially closing story lines since he knew people were pushing him to end it. Some unsatisfactorily if I remember. I'll read the last three at some point I think, but it is hard to build up momentum for it.

Id have to agree with you on how it felt that RJ was trying to close the story lines becuse people were pushing him and that did kinda kill any fun i had reading a dagger of dreams but i think a memory of light does a good job of getting back to what RJ wanted with his book. Brandon Sanderson really did an outstanding job of finishing the book from RJ's notes and ended some of the long running story lines in some of the best ways.
Back to top Go down
Kirita Peregrina

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 am

Currently reading Daniel Abraham Shadow and Betrayal, which is good, and for fast reading, I love Patricia Briggs' stuff and Lynn Flewelling - anybody read her books?

Also love the early Shannara books.

Got a bargain set of Babylon 5 dvds but haven't had the time yet to watch them!

Went to see Inception and loved it - I'll be getting that when it comes out on dvd.
Back to top Go down
Elocke Sern

Elocke Sern

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:14 am

Ooh, yes, Inception is a keeper. The wife and I loved it.

I purposely got HBO just for the Game of Thrones series. That and the wife likes True Blood, lol.

Back to top Go down
Monk Deode

Monk Deode

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 am

Kirita Peregrina wrote:
Got a bargain set of Babylon 5 dvds but haven't had the time yet to watch them!

Make sure to give the first season some leeway. It's a little weak in my opinion but season two it really starts to take off and from there on it is golden.
Back to top Go down
Elocke Sern

Elocke Sern

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 am

Yeah, first 2 episodes for me so far are kind of meh. I don't like the guy who plays Commander Sinclair, his acting is horrible, but I kind of like some of the political tension in the show. It's intriguing.
Back to top Go down
Shirigu Bateau

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 am

Yes the first season of B5 was not all that great, and yes it really does pick up in season 2. Personally, B5 is one of my favorite series.

I have never been interested in the Wheel of Time, got to the 2nd book and just said meh.

Terry Goodkinds Wizards First Rule series is great. Some of the books he could have omitted without losing story. I just finished the final book.

R.A. Salvatore is an awesome author and has a great story with Drizzt' Du Orden.

Raymond Feist is still going strong with the Krondor books. However, I have gotten so far behind I may have to start all over again on the series.

I have read book one of the Furies of Calderon and I do want to continue that series.

W.Michael Gear the spider series is still one of my favorites.

Steven Brust is good author with his series on the Kingdom of Andralanka. The Pheonix Guards is by far my favorite book.

As for anime well being 39 I would have a lot to list so I will save that for another post at another time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching/reading   What are you watching/reading - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you watching/reading
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3