Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

PC build question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Annwen Fiori

Annwen Fiori

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 pm

So all you savvy tech guys, maybe you could give me some advice about the best area for me to concentrate for an upgrade seeing as i probably won't be able to afford a total system upgrade. Current specs are as follows

Windows 7 64bit
E5200 @ 2.5 CPU
4GB DDR2
ATI HD4850 512MB
24" LCD 1920x1200 native

Question is would I be better off with

a) an i7-930 upgrade kit, with the Motherboard and 4gig of DDR3 and CPU and keep HD4850 512

b) going to an E8500 CPU and a HD5850 1GB vid card

option a - Upgrade kit is about $800
option b - Upgrade kit is about $600

Prices are in Australian dollars so don't have a heart attack :)
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:10 pm

I'd go for option 1 and tough out your video card until you can afford a new one. That dual core processor and older chipset architecture would stifle a new video card too severely.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Yeah, get #1, cause you gotta have the support for a new GPU first, then get a good GPU when ya can afford a powerful one. I don't know ATI that well, but I think you run XIV well enough for now.
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Annwen Fiori

Annwen Fiori

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with a Phenom II X6 1050T cpu and AM3 m/board. Also a 1TB hard drive and 4GB of DDR 3. Later on I will need to upgrade to a larger case to fit the HD5850 or whichever card I go with both for space and cooling requirements.

All up including shipping and packaging $556 AUD and should give me a nice boost :).
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 1:29 am

Very nice.

November is the expected month for release of the AMD (yes. they're ditching the ATI branding) 6xxx series.

Expect to be finding discounted 5800 series cards all the way into the new year. (possibly even the 400 nVidia series).
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 6:23 am

Interesting...didn't know about them dropping the ATI brand. Should be a good move for them.
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 am

I just find it hilarious now that the AMD logo is going to be present on Intel chipset packaging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PC build question Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC build question   PC build question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PC build question
Page 1 of 1