Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

questions about a new build

Go down 
+3
Roan Varuna
Corday Rynir
Siaan Maune
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

questions about a new build Empty
PostSubject: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:46 pm

So i've been reading through the hardware posts and there is a ton of good information. As some of you know I'm building a new comp this fall and I've been using a website that Roan directed me too: ncix.com. I've got a ton of questions considering this is the first time i've built from the ground up.

Anyone have any good recommendations for cpu cooling? if I definitely need it or not? that kind of thing.

Recommendations for power supply? When looking through reviews I couldn't find anything bad about any of the options that I have. So I'm just making sure I buy smart in this catagory.

Also I'm pretty sure everyone here knows much more than I about the hardware make ups of gaming pc so as far as cables or accessories are concerned is there anything I should absolutely make sure i don't forget?

And lastly soundcard. Besides for making sure i have ffxiv specs is there a reason i should be spending extra on a sound card?

This is the link to the build i have so far please feel free to offer critism and recommendations as like i said above you all know more about this stuff than I do.

Thanks in advance.
http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=3262906&platformid=1000
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey Siaan,

Got some good choices there... but you have a few things that I'd change, and a few things I'd take off entirely...

First off, the 6-core 1090 is overkill if this rig is primarily for gaming. The vast majority of games (including FF14) will not use all 6 cores. If you're heart is set on AMD, get the Phenom II X4 965 Black ed. instead. It's cheaper, and will run FF14 better than the 1090.

Next up... that ASUS P6T is an Intel motherboard. It's a very good board, but it will not work with the AMD CPU you have chosen.

If you have your heart set on the AMD, you'll need a motherboard that supports the AM3 socket. I'd get this motherboard: MSI nForce 980a It uses an Nvidia platform, so you know it'll work with an Nvidia GPU, plus both PCI-express slots are x16.

Next... you don't need that gigabit ethernet adapter. Most motherboards have a built-in 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter. Only buy it if you need more than 1 ethernet connection.

600-watt PSU is OKAY... but I would recommend at least 750 watts. That'll future-proof you in the event you want to add a second GPU in SLI.

Speaking of GPUs... buy a GTX 460 instead of the 470. It's about $100 cheaper, and when overclocked to about 800mHz, the GTX 460 out-performs the 470. Make sure you get the 1GB GTX 460, not the 768mb.

The ONLY other recommendation I have is a different case. I really like the CoolerMaster HAF 932. It's a little cheaper than the one you chose, but it has 3 230mm intake fans and one 140mm exhaust fan... talk about air flow...
Coolermaster HAF 932

As for CPU cooling, yes that is very important especially for gaming. I would not use the stock cooler. One of the best is this one: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Also make sure you get thermal compound. VERY important for CPU installation.
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Here... I re-did your build with the modifications I suggested. I left the ethernet adapter in the build.

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=3262906&platformid=1000

Comes out a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Corday posted up a very nice build. I agree with him on the majority of parts used.

I myself am partial to these parts though.

Western Digital Sata 3 Compatible 1 TB 64mb cache

Go for a beefier CPU cooler, especially if you overclock substantially.
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:04 pm

I prefer WD drives as well, I didn't go thru to change brands on the build, just for making sure the build would work well, and wasn't overkill (i.e going for the 965 over the 1090 AMD processor).

The reason I like the Arctic cooler is it's 92mm. some of the massive tower coolers like that Antec don't always fit in every case... however I think that HAF932 is big enough for just about any cooler... I mean the front intake fan is 230mm so the case is at least that wide lol
Back to top Go down
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Awesome feedback corday. Thanks for giving me some tips to think about. So i noticed that i built this through ncix Canadian website and the US site doesn't have the ram nor the processors that i would want. Any reason why i can't order through the Canadian site? The memory is just out of stock at the moment and I can wait on that or get something similar but i didn't see while seaching any amd processors on the US site. Maybe i am missing something but i don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:29 pm

i'll post the end build as well so you i can get you and roan's approval. thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:31 pm

May want to find out about that. If it's built in Canada and shipped from Canada, you'll have to pay customs and duty. If their US branch can build it but you have to wait a couple extra days, it may be worth it.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Yeah they operate out of Washington State as well. No customs issues. Back orders are generally re-stocked quickly enough, so I'd wait.

If you can't then go for Patriot memory. Lifetime guarantee and solid performances as well.
Back to top Go down
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Alright so I got a complete build but the us site for ncix doesn't have the build option or amd processors so if I wanted to find a similar website to use here in the states that would build and test for me before shipping what is a good recommendation?

Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Well I tend to only buy from Newegg and TigerDirect, but I dunno if they have a build & test before shipping option. I've always done it myself after the parts arrived. Onigiri Happy Hands
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 6:05 pm

I'd write them an email and ask if it can be done (NCIX).

If not, it's either do it yourself, find someone who can, or buy a prebuilt system. If a prebuilt is the answer, you'd do well to get it from either Tiger, Newegg or NCIX.
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 6:33 pm

There's a place called zipzoomfly.com that I think will build any config for you kind of like ncix... I haven't used them in a while so I can't comment on if they still do this or not, but they used to...

Otherwise Newegg and Tiger are good sources, but you'll need to build it yourself, or find someone who can
Back to top Go down
Celas Seyrana

Celas Seyrana

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 pm

http://www.ibuypower.com/ is a good site, yea its rather expensive but all the parts are top quality and the site is really user friendly, my roomate had his pc build from there and when i can save enough i plan to get a decent laptop built
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:31 am

Yeah it is kinda pricey... I guess it all depends on the original budget.
Back to top Go down
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 3:03 am

Cool thanks for the feedback i'll check it out. Appreciate it everyone.

Back to top Go down
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 am

Alright so i'm sure your all tired of me asking all these tech questions but i gotta do it because i'm worried if i don't i'll get all these parts in the mail and be missing something. So I found all the following items on newegg.com to check pricing and many if not all were a bit cheaper. Basically I just want to make sure that all these parts are compatible with each other and things fit together and what not. As far as my research has gone they are all good but I'm a rookie here. Also if there is anything I am missing please post a recommendation of what it is i might need if you dont mind. Also Corday I believe you said that most motherboards come with an 10/100/1000 ethernet connection so i dont' need a network card corect? I have a very nice hdmi monitor from my old comp with great visual range so no need to make a recommendation for that. Also keyboard mouse and all that obvious stuff i've got. Things that jump into my mind is a possible cord that I need for a certain piece of hardware that i'm not thinking of or something like that. Again thanks for patience with me and all the help. So let me know what everyone thinks and I apologize again for all the questions.

here it is in all its glory:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15589166
Back to top Go down
Avgustin Narion

Avgustin Narion

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 1:33 am

Looks like the only thing you forgot to add is the RAM.

Also, I know wish lists don't save combo deals, so you might already know this, but check these combos out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.473483

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.437525.13-130-236

You'll save $40 alone on those two. Plus, here's a CPU/RAM combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470178

G.Skill is a great brand. I've been using their RAM for years.

And, yes, your motherboard will have an ethernet port built in. It will also have onboard sound if you don't want to buy the add-in sound card. But that's really up to you. (I've always used a sound card myself, by the way.)

Other than that, I'd say your system is pretty solid. The only cables you'll need are a couple of SATA cables for your hard drive and optical drive, but your motherboard will come with those. All of the other components will be connected directly through their respective slots.

The only thing I'm unsure about is your power supply, but only because I don't have much experience with Cooler Master on that front. They make good cases, but I haven't done any research on their other offerings. I use Corsair PSUs myself, and it's an incredibly well-trusted brand.

There's this combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.466051

That gives you the same $30 discount as the case/Cooler Master PSU combo. You'll lose 100W of power, but you're not going to need 850W anyway with your setup. My system is similar to the one you're building, and I use a 750W PSU.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Back to top Go down
Avgustin Narion

Avgustin Narion

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 am

I just reviewed your first post and saw that your original build was going to use 8GB of RAM. You can still stick to your original plan (even using the Corsair sticks — they're great), but I'm not sure that much memory is necessary; 4GB is more than enough for most people. If you still want the 8GB, and you've got the cash to drop, then totally go for it.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 am

Buy 8.

4 gigs was too much back in XP times.
Back to top Go down
Nimarhie Stardancer

Nimarhie Stardancer

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 5:57 am

Western Digital... bleh. I have had so many of those HDs die on me. So far I havent had any problems with my 1tb Seagate.
Back to top Go down
http://dreamingxashley.deviantart.com/
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 6:22 am

I've had Western digitals all the way from 200mb to 1 terabyte. Never once had a failure, nor have I heard their drives to sport higher failure rates than others.

Luck of the draw.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah I've had horrible luck with WD and Seagate also...I now use Hitachi, and thus far no issues!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm

If you look hard enough, you'll find an equal number of people who have failures with all the major hard drive brands. I find that as long as you stick with a solid brand (Hitachi, Seagate, WD, etc) you'll have as good of luck as any.

Right now I have a 500gb WD and a 1.5tb Seagate in my computer, both have been performing flawlessly.
Back to top Go down
Nimarhie Stardancer

Nimarhie Stardancer

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Luck of the draw? Six times in a row? I returned the same HD six times... or rather the same brand of HD and same size, to the same bestbuy. In the 6th time I was so embarrassed to be returning it that I went to the other store across town. The I decided to give seagate a whirl... its been working fine.

Hitachi however, I love. I had one that worked like a dream for about 2 years I think before it finally died.... dont remember what caused it to croak, probly too much banging around.

I would love to try a sshd though.
Back to top Go down
http://dreamingxashley.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: questions about a new build   questions about a new build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

questions about a new build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next