Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Help me choose a build

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Qwalen Masthead

Help me choose a build Empty
PostSubject: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Here is my problem. I like both systems and have researched the parts more than I should but bored. I have it narrowed to these 2 builds. The case will be a last second consideration but leaning towards the Cooler Master. Also I can get the i7 for 199 at microcenter. My initial thought is to go for the AMD system due to its slightly more future proof since Bulldozer 8 cores are supposed to be AM3. Whereas the socket 1366 will be gone here fairly soon although fine for a couple years. So any input would be appreciated to push me one way or the other.

AMD

Gigabyte 890FX motherboard
XFX 5870
Cooler Master Storm Sniper
XFX 750W Modular PS
AMD 1090T 6 Core
G Skill 4GB DDR3 1600

Intel

Asus Motherboard
Antec Nine Hundred Two Case
XFX 5870
Corsair 750W PS
i7 930
G Skill 6 GB DDR3 1600
Back to top Go down
Monk Deode

Monk Deode

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:37 pm

My personal preferences maybe a little outdated here as AMD has gotten better over the years, but I'd go with the i7 930. Especially with the the 2 GB of extra RAM. Although, I will say my prejudice mainly stems from AMD overclocking which in my opinion Intel has always been more stable and durable with longer life and the i7 930 is no exception with fantastic performance.

Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Those processors are actually practically neck and neck performance wise. Both will also overclock very well. Either system would be great. Intel in gerneral does win the performance battle, but unfortunately as I stated before, they ditch their sockets like nobody's business.

With that said, I myself would go for the AMD build for the reasons you stated: longer socket support.

I would also suggest: CoolerMaster HAF 932 as your case.

Full towers are a fair bit larger, but their cooling and cable management options are fantastic. If ever you one day decide to add another graphics card, or should a newer model be longer; you'll have that much needed room for expansion.
Back to top Go down
Qwalen Masthead

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:56 pm

I will check into that case. I saw it at microcenter this weekend but didnt think much of it. I went looking at the two I listed. The Sniper is quiet large for a mid tower but I have heard great things about the HAF so if it will fit in the space I might give it serious consideration.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm quite partial to AMD, so I'd go with that one, especially for upgrading later on at less cost!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Monk Deode

Monk Deode

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 1:08 am

Khalus Akuhei wrote:
I'm quite partial to AMD, so I'd go with that one, especially for upgrading later on at less cost!

Yeah. If you plan on upgrading in the next 3 years you can't really go wrong with AMD for cost.
Back to top Go down
Qwalen Masthead

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:31 am

Monk Deode wrote:
Khalus Akuhei wrote:

Yeah. If you plan on upgrading in the next 3 years you can't really go wrong with AMD for cost.

I upgrade about every two years normally. This cycle has been about 3 and half because nothing has come out that really pushed this system though. Looks like things are finally catching up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me choose a build   Help me choose a build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me choose a build
Page 1 of 1