Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

FFXIV Recommended Specs.

Go down 
+11
Vexia Ravenlocke
Corday Rynir
Qwalen Masthead
Dachartach Arnductas
Cecilia White
Soten Enki
Hyorinmaru Touchi
Avgustin Narion
Roan Varuna
Xzen Corvus
Khalus Akuhei
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 1:45 pm

I know next to nothing about laptops, or controllers. Why not a desktop though?
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Mostly for the utility of having a laptop. Good to have the mobility since I'm in school and need it for classes and such. I've got a desktop now that is 2 or 3 years old that is just below specs for ffxiv but runs everything i've ever played great and the only upgrades i've ever really needed was windows 7 64 bit and the move up to 4 gbs of ram. I could probably upgrade my graphics card and i'd be set for ffxiv but i was planning on getting a new comp this fall anyway and want the ffxiv experience to be at its best. I wouldn't be opposed to a desktop if the right setup was involved I guess. Having the ability to take it anywhere apeals to me. I'll probably end up paying alot for that ability however. We'll see I might not be thinking of everything so if someone brings up a good point maybe i'll opt for a desktop instead.
Back to top Go down
Monk Deode

Monk Deode

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Siaan Maune wrote:
Had a few questions and from the current posts seems like everyone knows what they are talking about. At the end of August i'll be buying a new labtop and i'll be going all out since I've got the extra cash.s

So, I in no way recommend this because I know I massively overpayed for my rig, but I am lazy in my old age and didn't relish the idea of building a laptop and rather buy something with a three-year warranty that covers me spilling coffee on it or setting it on fire when I get bored. Normally I'm a desktop guy just for the ease of upgrading/tweaking/overclocking but my current abode doesn't have enough room for a full rig so I went with an Alienware M17x with pretty much the second best of all the possible upgrades that Dell offered. Cost me the majority of my bonus, but I absolutely love the thing and have had no problems with it (then again I'm only in Month 2 of owning it).

If I was far more sane, however, I would of gone with this: http://hothardware.com/articles/Asus-G73Jh-Gaming-Notebook/

Building laptops have always been more hassle then they are worth in my opinion, but take that with a grain of salt because like I said earlier, I'm old and lazy.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:55 pm

That ASUS laptop is the only viable product currently that offers desk top(ish) performance for what I consider to be a decent price. Keep in mind that this is no conveniently portable laptop by any stretch of the imagination. It is large, and heavy (for a laptop anyway).

With that said, are you sure you'll be doing your gaming outside of the house? You might be better off buying a 300$ laptop for your educational software and a 1200$ desktop for your gaming. I remember my own habits back in the day; taking notes during class and printing out my projects, then immediately leaving to the comfort of my own dorm.

If you're absolutely sure you want an all-in-one solution, the ASUS is it.
Back to top Go down
Siaan Maune

Siaan Maune

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah you make a good point Roan which i was just mulling over. If I did go the route of buying a cheap laptop and going big on my desktop what recommendations do you have? I just priced out an aurora desktop with the recommended specs for ffxiv on alienware's website and as with many of the larger companies its most likely overpriced. I'm sure I can get something similar for cheaper somewhere but this will be my first time buying top of the line and not getting something second hand so i want to make sure my instincts are pointed in the right direction.
Anyone feel free to drop a reply with a recommendation.

Also besides for backup capabilities is there any real reason to have dual hard drives. So far that is one of the options while building I haven't been able to pick which way to go other than opt for a single with plenty of space since all i'm using this for is gaming.
Thanks ahead for any feedback.

Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 1:53 pm

I wouldn't go Alienware unless you have money to burn. While they're an established company, think of them as the Nike of the computer world: you're paying for the branding.

I would recommend getting a PC assembled by this fine company: NCIX

While they aren't the biggest name in online computer stores ( these guys have a major physical store/distribution network in Canada) they offer great service, guarantees AND the ability to price check your parts (find them for cheaper on another site and they'll match it). I've been shopping with them pretty strong for a few years and have only heard and experienced positive things.

DO NOT go to the system configurator, but rather pick the parts that you like and add the "assemble pc" option for 40 bucks. They'll make sure everything works and route your cables neatly for you.

Last edited by Roan Varuna on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Qwalen Masthead

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Alienware is overpriced. You can build one of their 2000 dollar machines for about half that maybe less. If you like the case then microcenter sells the case by itself.
Back to top Go down
Liari Genki

Liari Genki

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:27 am

I've done it - bought Gainward GeForce GTX460 2GB GS and a Samsung 24" display.
My board/CPU/RAM will be a bottleneck for sure - the PCIe x16 slot is only 1.0 - the card supports it, but is 2.0.
But I hope it will move my system from the cellar of 905-920 points score in benchmark to an more acceptable score.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:12 am

Well you're halfway there now, which is a great start. Hopefully in a few weeks or months you'll be able to afford a new MB, CPU & RAM and take full advantage of your GPU.

Let us know what your new score is asap...hopefully you'll break 2k or more on low so you can enjoy XIV at launch.
Back to top Go down
Liari Genki

Liari Genki

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 8:28 am

Maybe I should have made it clearer: I said I bought, but meant I ordered. But the things should arrive tomorrow or friday, so the weekend will see me assembling and testing ;)
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I understood ya, and know it takes time to get things and setup.
Back to top Go down
Liari Genki

Liari Genki

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:16 am

Ok, my hardware upgrades are now installed, including a new power supply I added today.

FF XIV Benchmark values before upgrade:
Low 920 max
High 485 max

After upgrade:
Low: 2334
High: 2090

So if I get the updates for beta software downloaded some day, I'll see you online...
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:24 am

Nices, thats quite the increase, I bet you're happy!
Back to top Go down
Liari Genki

Liari Genki

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 am

I am happy *sproing**sproing**sproing* Onigiri Fiesta
Back to top Go down
Hyorinmaru Touchi

Hyorinmaru Touchi

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 1:16 pm

got my asus G73JH 2 days ago...
benchmark score (first application that run in this laptop !!!)
low : 3k+
high : 2k+
will update these with exact number, after i fiddle around with the GPU settings.

this thing is a mini beast... and its not that heavy compared to alienwares of the equivalent display size... about 8lbs... well 10 with the brick (quite big)

btw this thing is really silent and cool... first laptop for me that really can be used on your lap comfortably for more than an hour. well i only did some regular browsing and chatting... will test it with games later... but then again i can't really play any games on my lap coz i need the mouse...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FFXIV Recommended Specs.   FFXIV Recommended Specs. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FFXIV Recommended Specs.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4