Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Empty
PostSubject: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:28 am

Proving that you can't keep a good franchise down -- at least not for more than a day or so -- the SCI FI Channel has green-lit production on Stargate Universe, the third live-action television series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The official press release from MGM and SCI FI is expected later today.

Universe will have a 2-hour premiere in 2009, and land in a regular time slot next summer -- meaning there will not be a production gap between the second and third Stargate television series.

The trade magazine also reported that the show will be set on board a previously unmanned ship called the Destiny, and will involve more space-based action than its predecessors. "Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe," the magazine said.

The producers are reportedly looking to cast a known actor for one of the leading roles, and fresh faces to round out the cast. This would follow the pattern of SG-1, which earned a lot of marketability from leading man Richard Dean Anderson when it premiered in 1997, rather than the largely unknown cast of Atlantis.

The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience, SCI FI president Dave Howe said.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," he said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

"In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home," series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper said. "Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Wright and Cooper will also executive produce. The two created Stargate Atlantis, which will end its TV run in January (story). An Atlantis movie will also air later in 2009 on SCI FI -- hopefully the first of many.

More information is expected very soon.

Last edited by Khalus Akuhei on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:29 am

Sounds more like something outa Star Trek than Stargate...but we'll see next year if it'll work! May be good!!! Though not sure where the whole Stargate part comes in being stuck on a ship in space, unless there is a Stargate on the ship itself! hrmmmm

Still like the Atlantis Story more thus far, and who cares if its a largely unkown cast...they're known now and quite well, and the story rocks and was finally getting really good!!! I already miss Altlantis and S5 is not over yet...blah
Back to top Go down
Aziel

Aziel

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Yeah, it sounds like Star Trek Voyager! LOL. But anything Stargate will satisfy me.
Back to top Go down
http://ihavecramps.com

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 pm

If they introduce a female wraith turned good-guy into the new series I will personally fly to where-ever and bitch slap the producers and writers. >.<

I think the wraith queens are oddly sexy, but the series already sounds alot like Voyager... even though I sorta liked that star trek series. >.>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 8:27 pm

I had considered myself really in the loop with all things star gate and I had no idea Atlantis was ending in January . I Know that the actor who plays Ronin had stated he wanted this to be his last year but nothing past that. I should really hit Sci-fi wire more then once a month :(
It is looking more and more like my Fridays will be wide open next year. BSG ends, no new Dr. Who, Atlantis will end, and as far as I know the craptastic, but watchable fill in shows have been axed as well (( Dresdin ( which I liked),Flash Gordon (huge cliff hanger ending so 2 thumbs down), Pain Killer Jane (Meh..gave me an excuse to drink a ton of sake and watch TV :P ).
As far as i know there are what? 3 "green light"shows on the horizon other then Universe and Sanctuary is the only one yet to go past production. ( I know Sanctuary was at first going to be a web series but it looks like it will have a full time slot) I know Tinman was rumored but I thought they decided against it. ( ..wow I am a huge nerd)
Grumble..well, maybe they will bring Farscape back..doubt it, but who knows..I need my Sci fi darn it....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Dresden and Flash were the only two good filler shows. Painkiller was forgettable... I had completely forgotten about it til you mentioned it. xD Sanctuary does sound good though. The one who plays Carter on SG1 is in the show. I hope it gets more than one season.
Back to top Go down
Khelzar

Khelzar

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Annedhelle wrote:
Dresden and Flash were the only two good filler shows. Painkiller was forgettable... I had completely forgotten about it til you mentioned it. xD Sanctuary does sound good though. The one who plays Carter on SG1 is in the show. I hope it gets more than one season.

Amanda Tapping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Yeah I like her, shes nice looking. I also liked the girl that played the Ori prophetess.
Back to top Go down
Aziel

Aziel

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Yep, I loved Dresden Files. I was wondering when that would come back. It's a pity that Sci-Fi doesn't realize how many good shows they have done and are stupid enough to axe them. *sigh*

Ooo, if Amanda Tapping is in that new show, I'll definitely watch it! :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Dresden never got a chance. There was a write in to save it and as far as I know Sci Fi more or less ignored it. I think they could have at least kept it going in a web format. :(
I just hope NBC doesn't pull a sudden vanishing act with Heroes or Chuck this season. They have a bunch of new shows slated but I doubt any will live on past a season. It will be a shame if NBC kills the 2 shows it has going for itself to try and keep the new ones afloat. ( Slater is one of my favorite actors but I don't see his show going past 13 weeks : / )
I did stumble upon a get smart styled show on ABC family I have been watching, and enjoy a lot. Middleman, you should check it out some Monday ( pre-heroes return) if any of you are bored. It does have some of that bubble gum sheen to it, but it is worth a watch for the corn factor. It's almost as good as Frisco County and Special Unit where . ( IMO)
Back to top Go down
Aziel

Aziel

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

I've seen Middleman - but truthfully, they are too wordy! They seem to be really following the comic-strip (I heard there was one), and it gets boring after a while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm

I kind of like Middleman, it has some good dialog and lots of pop culture references. The season finale was yesterday though.

Sanctuary started life as web series which was very good, so looking forward to seeing it as a TV series.

Don't know about this new stargate series. Being cut off from Earth sounds a lot like Atlantis season 1, and I did like that dynamic but they didn't keep it for long and I suspect the same will happen here. The comments about making it for a younger audience aren't encouraging ... Atlantis certainly isn't an adult show like Torchwood for example.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:59 pm

But since they cured Carson Beckett (Scottish Doctor <3!) on Atlantis, they could always carry him over to the new show, and that wouldn't suck! ;)

Gotta say, I wasn't under the impression that Atlantis was all that...cerebral...adult?...or whatever. Gah. Why do they always have to dumb down good Sci Fi so that it can be spoonfed to the masses? We seriously need better masses. Or at least smarter ones.

p.s. Loved me some Harry Dresden, too! That's one of the shows I miss, along with:

The Invisible Man (BIG time!)
LEXX
Farscape
Buffy/Angel
Brimstone (This gets cancelled but "Reaper" gets to stay? Again, the 'dumbing down' element.)
DS9
Enterprise
Beauty and the Beast (Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton)

just to name a few, there are others but I'm drawing a blank right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 pm

I really liked Dresden as well. Even my wife thought it was somewhat interesting, heh. I'm tempted to check out the books.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Yeah the Dresden Files was really good...wish they'd stop listing to the mass idiots and canceling good shows. Like Moonlight also most recently was really good...blah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Kyodai wrote:
I really liked Dresden as well. Even my wife thought it was somewhat interesting, heh. I'm tempted to check out the books.

I read the first book and it was much better than the TV version of it. I haven't read the 2nd yet, was waiting for it to come out for kindle, which it now has but I'm currently in the middle of The Book of the New Sun. I'll probably read it when I'm done with that.
Back to top Go down
Aziel

Aziel

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 am

Encaitar wrote:
I read the first book and it was much better than the TV version of it. I haven't read the 2nd yet, was waiting for it to come out for kindle, which it now has but I'm currently in the middle of The Book of the New Sun. I'll probably read it when I'm done with that.

You got a Kindle? I hate you now.

(just kidding, of course ) :P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe   SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SCI FI green-lights Stargate Universe
Page 1 of 1