Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Technical help needed! Driving me mad...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Yonnie

Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Empty
PostSubject: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.

I am using a wireless Belkin G Router (I know, I know..) and even though my signal strengths show 'very good' or 'excellent' I rarely show more than 24.0Mbps. Sometimes when I first turn my computer on it says 54.0Mbps which is what the actually router plug-in has written on it. Now, I am by no means a tech idiot, however, I am wondering if there is some sort of firewall settings I could use to help my speed.

The reason I ask is that sometimes when I play FFXI and go to attack something it is very laggy and might not happen instantaneous, like it should, and has in the past when I had a wired connection.

I am hoping I am able to get this fixed before FFXIV comes out, since I am leeching for my brother downstairs and its FREE, Muahaha.
Back to top Go down
Ayaneko

Ayaneko

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Hmm, my best guess would be that someone or something else is also utilizing the connection, hence you get the speed cut.
Back to top Go down
Yonnie

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:41 pm

I thought that too, so I recently secured the network, now it is only my brother, my fiance's computer and mine....

I have heard that it could be due to the USB Wireless Router or Firewall settings...

I was just in game and my R constantly dipped to like ~50 and went as high as ~600s, but when it dipped a got a huge lag spike. I just can't play like this... well I can but it annoys the crap out of me.
Back to top Go down
Ayaneko

Ayaneko

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 6:09 pm

well, right now I gotta go and fix a router for a friend of mine. She can't seem to connect to the i-net for some reason. Once I will get back, I will try to help ya.
Back to top Go down
Torpy

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm

It sounds to me that the connection is bad. There's alot of factors of why: How far you are from the router, how strong its antennas are, what kind walls are between you, how large the room is that the router is in.

Try running multiple speedtests and see how consistent your results are: www.speedtest.net

Not sure if this helps you, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Check if your router has any weird Quality of Service settings on your router? Look around in the router settings and check if you see anything weird.
Back to top Go down
Yonnie

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Back to top Go down
Yonnie

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 9:01 pm

This is test #2:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/692641025.png

This is right after my FFXI session this evening and I just noticed my toolbar is showing my Wireless Connection Speed as 1.0Mbps, I mean usually this says at least 24.0Mbps...

I swear it has to just be a wireless connection. I may try and buy some cable and try connecting directly to router.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Wireless is the key....so many things can interrupt the signal, and heck maybe someone else are leeching off you...rofl
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Ayaneko

Ayaneko

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 9:52 pm

just a question here, do you also experience lag spikes if u attempt to, say, ... chat in the game?
Back to top Go down
Yonnie

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:53 pm

So I did a fun science experiment tonight. I took my whole rig downstairs and hooked directly into the modem...Magic! It worked... Next part, I added the router into the equation....Amazingly, again it worked...

So yeah, It is just that MMOs and wireless does not equal goodness. That being said I now have the daunting task of somehow wiring a network cable from my brothers downstairs bedroom into my upstairs dining room... YAY!

Stay tuned..
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Well, do keep in mind that FFXI was designed to run on dial-up and to this day still runs on that type of connection. Its locked at 30fps too...all part of keeping every ver and connection setting equal so nobody has an advantage over another!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical help needed! Driving me mad...   Technical help needed!  Driving me mad... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Technical help needed! Driving me mad...
Page 1 of 1