Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time}

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time} Empty
PostSubject: Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time}   Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time} Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Been looking over at Newegg and reading all around the net; customer reviews & benchmarks of many parts and for the best value without gouging myself by choosing parts that exceed $1000 or more and will still far exceed my current setup. I'm only planning on replacing parts in my PC instead of buying an all new case, PS, HDDs, etc...all that still works great but the internal power parts are going on 3 yrs old this summer, and while I still have no issues running anything on max to nearly max settings I want even more power...especially a quad-core CPU, and 8GB ram.

After many hrs today I've pretty much decided on these items:

Which total $603.96, and thats before any type of sales or rebates and shipping costs, plus I don't plan to purchase these items for several months yet so they could drop in price even more.

I'm also contemplating whether to try and find a 2nd EVGA GTX 275 video card, and SLi with my current one, or just wait until this Nov or so when FFXIV should be nearing launch, and save up til then and just get one of the newest EVGA GTX 480.
The GTX 480 is currently going for about $629 through EVGA which is whom I'll buy from should I be able to afford one, and I'm thinking as quickly as prices fluctuate on PC parts, especially video cards, I'd image that price would drop by 1/2 or more by Nov or so, making it plenty affordable too me.

Still trying to find a good benchmark site to compare my GTX 275 with the GTX 480, but just looking at the stats of the two side-by-side, the 480 is clearly 10x better as it should be...rofl

I'll be watching out for a chart and post it when I can, but what do you all think of these choices for the value!?

Last edited by Khalus Akuhei on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Satha Kuuetsija

Satha Kuuetsija

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time}   Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time} Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 am

There's a review of the 480 here: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=1 that has the gtx275 in the benchmarks, so you'll be able to compare performance. I was looking at this earlier and have decided to wait until it goes down in price a bit. The 275 will suffice for now!
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time}   Upgrading PC for FFXIV {planning time} Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm