Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Toeol Leonheart

Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:22 pm

OK, so with the Impending Release of FFXIV I Looked at when my Computer was last updated.

Aside from the GPU, the majority of the Components are now 2 years old (The GPU is 7 Months Old)I'm wondering if I should Upgrade any aspects, and what you guys think.

Current Build:

Asus P5Q PRO
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz
4 x Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
HIS HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Obviously I Generally try to keep costs to a minimum, but if Parts of myRig are worth Saving I amy be convinced to spend more on other parts (was pricing up a 5870 etc)

Any Thoughts/Advice?
Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:03 pm

How much do you wanna spend?

The CHEAPEST way to go that'll be a meaningful upgrade would be an AMD 965 Black Edition CPU... it's like $165 at Newegg right now and will trounce any Intel at its price point.

You'll also need a new motherboard for the AMD... Asus makes a good AMD motherboard that uses the Nvidia 980a Nforce design, which not only offers two PCI-e 2.0 slots that run in x16, it can also use both DDR2 or DDR3 memory, so you can save money by using your existing DDR2 RAM. This board is about $139 at newegg.

For about $80 less than the price of a single 5870 ATI, you can get two GTX 460s and run them in SLI, and that setup will kill the single 5870. I just picked up a single Gigabyte GTX 460 and it is killer. I believe it's $229 right now.

Keep your hard drive and your DVD-rom drive. If it's a good case, re-use it. If your power supply isn't 750 watts, upgrade to at least 750 watts.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 5:44 pm

He's got an intel Quad core... an AMD quad core would be a downgrade. The best AMD quad is weaker than my q9550.

You're just about at the point I'm at with my q9550. Short of getting a new system, I'd recommend you:

1- Overclock your CPU to 3.0 ghz (you'll need an after market cooler)

2- Add another 4 gb of ram

3- Upgrade to a 5850 or better if your wallet allows, though you could tough out that 5770 for a while longer ( I actually recommend you do granted the 6xxx series is coming out in November. Expect 5800 series prices to drop, a lot).

The 460 is nice, but not all that impressive an upgrade from a 5770 to warrant 250$.

Last edited by Roan Varuna on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Avgustin Narion

Avgustin Narion

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Roan Varuna wrote:
It's also worth noting that SLI/Crossfire is not supported by FFXIV. Go for a strong single GPU (470,480, 5850, 5870).

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. ATI just released the Catalyst 10.8 drivers, which include a Crossfire profile for the FFXIV benchmark. I can only assume that means they'll also be adding a profile for the retail client when it's released.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Avgustin wrote:
Roan Varuna wrote:
It's also worth noting that SLI/Crossfire is not supported by FFXIV. Go for a strong single GPU (470,480, 5850, 5870).

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. ATI just released the Catalyst 10.8 drivers, which include a Crossfire profile for the FFXIV benchmark. I can only assume that means they'll also be adding a profile for the retail client when it's released.

Thanks for that. Time to install it. Read the release notes... very nice. I may just decide to splurge on another 5850.

That also opens up the possibility of getting another 5770.
Back to top Go down
Soten Enki

Soten Enki

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 6:47 pm

I would go the overclock CPU and grab better cooling route to keep costs down. But if you have the money there are a ton of better CPU's you can grab.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 6:59 pm

A venture into entry level i5 or i7 is a 500-900$ ordeal, even with good deals. Don't know if he wants to be spending that much.

Let us know what kind of $$$ you're working with. It'll make this a little easier.
Back to top Go down
Toeol Leonheart

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 7:52 am

I'm thinking of spending around £600-£700,
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:10 am

GTX 480 £449.99

4 gb DDR2 800 £ 74.99

Jumping from Core 2 quad to anything currently on the market will not net awe inspiring improvements, especially for gaming (trust me, I've been fighting myself to hold off ).

P.S: I truly feel for you all in the UK. Computer component prices are jacked up quite a fair bit higher than in North America.
Back to top Go down
Toeol Leonheart

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:16 am

Is a GTX480 truely worth ~£110 more than a 5870?

where is the benefits from switching from 4x2 to 2( or more) x4 other than the obvious?

and your saying its NOT worth upping the CPU at this time?
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:27 am

£110? Wow...

I chose the 480 based on price difference in NA. No, it isn't worth £110 more (unless you're adamant about PhysX support).

Not sure I follow you on the switch from 4x2. I suggested 2 x 2 gb Dimms to bring you up to 8gb of Ram.

Upgrading your CPU at this time will not exactly give you the boost you require with gaming. The £700 budget you have will be totally blown on a new motherboard, CPU and ram (DDR2 and DDR3 are not compatible). In the end you will still be left with a lower end Video card, a component that is THE key to nicely rendering modern games.

If you had a few hundred more pounds to work with, I'd recommend an i5 750 or i7 930.

Back to top Go down
Toeol Leonheart

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 am

I'm already at 8gig of RAM on my Current Spec.

Currently ont he website I shop at, you can get yourself a 5870 for £315, and a 480 at £400 so its actually £85 difference

Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 am

Toeol Leonheart wrote:
I'm already at 8gig of RAM on my Current Spec.

Currently ont he website I shop at, you can get yourself a 5870 for £315, and a 480 at £400 so its actually £85 difference

I apologize; thought you had only 4gb for some reason... (it's still early here).

As for the 480 over the 5870, the 480 does sport a higher bandwidth (312 over 256) and more DDR5 (1.5gb over 1). If the £85 doesn't phase you too much, then go for it. FFXIV was created around the nVidia chipset, so that card would tear through it.
Back to top Go down
Toeol Leonheart

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 am

Si it litterally is just a Graphics Card atm until I can splurge on one of the new cpu chipsets,ok, thats good to know :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions   Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about Upgrading, need Opinions
Page 1 of 1