Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Favorite series/Suggestions

Go down 
+3
Kith
Ianthe Reine
Tareith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tareith

Favorite series/Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 12:47 am

Ok, lets not go too nuts here and list only a few series that we loved as suggestions to others. I'll start it off.

In no particular order
Azumanga Daioh - Classic coming of age, high school comedy.
Blood+ - Serious action series about vampire killing and saving humanity.
Witch Hunter Robin - Slightly sci-fi series. Magic, Sci-fi, no mecha or anything over the top
Air- Serious Comedy/Drama, beautiful story. Be sure to have tissues nearby.
Ergo Proxy - Film Noir Serious action/drama. Decent story, fantastic art.
Genshiken- College slice of life comedy about an Otaku club.

Ok, I was only going to list 5 but that's as tight of a group as I can make it. It'd be a massive list if I listed all of the series that I liked, so I'll leave it at that. Now, I'm looking for recommendations. I love comedy/romance stories, serious drama/action, etc. I'm not really into Mecha types and the like. Genres would be leaning more towards shoujo, shoujo-ai, yuri, and josei (non-H please), but I'm quite open to most anything if it's good (above list should give you an Idea of what I like). Sooo, any suggestions? ^^
Back to top Go down
Ianthe Reine

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 am

Team Medical Dragon

One Manga wrote:
Team Medical Dragon focuses around a genius surgeon, Asada Ryutaro, who's methods have made him a bit of a renegade in the eyes of Japanese doctors. The manga exposes the "illness" of the Japanese hospitals and how their system is not designed to care for the patient.
The manga is appropriate for mature audiences and contains blood, nudity, harsh language, and sex.

It's amazing and so it the TV drama.
Back to top Go down
Kith

Kith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 1:49 am

Slayers : Comedy / fantasy.( slayers is slayers, if you have not watched season one you must stop everything and watch it at once)

Love Hina : Comedy / romance ( Don't know why but I really enjoy this one)

Heroic Age: space/ mecha ( I love the story . Not a lot of humor and the character "Age" can get irritating in a few spots but over all I really enjoyed it)

Trinity Blood : vampire ( Everyone has seen Hellsing, blood, and a host of others this one stuck out for its approach to vampires. Reminded me a bit of trigun)

sasami: Magical Girls Club : Magic girl / comedy (( My daughters favorite anime and one we watched a new episode for every friday for 5 months so it has a special place in my heart)

There kept it to 5 even though I have like 20,000 worth mention :P
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 2:14 am

Love Hina's a classic, addictive intro song and I liked Trinity Blood (have a wall scroll of it on my wall actually and the main character totally reminds me of trigun). Slayer's is old school fun ^^

Hadn't seen Heroic Age; reminds me of Crest/Banner of the stars so I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 am

Gundam Series, well almost every one...a few I don't like.

Evangelion has been my all time favorite mecha and I had tons of toys, DVDs, posters, OSTs, etc....but I sold it all about a yr ago.

Read or Die, and I suggest that everyone watch this series...very good!

Rurouni Kenshin, the classic samurai tale....best out there I think!

Bleach & Naruto Shippuuden I greatly enjoy, and tons of others but my mind went blank for now!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Aziel

Aziel

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 4:17 am

Sorry if this is long, LOL.

Most of the anime I've watched I started from reading their manga at first. Some of them from word of mouth. Anywho, my list, though only from memory:

Akira - Well, not really a series, but first ever anime I've seen that made me love anime and a classic.

Claymore - fantasy one and has a lot of drama also, make sure to have tissues as well

Mahou Sensei Negima - I've only really watched the first version of it, I've heard they made the 2nd version more chibi-like.

Fruits Basket - about the 12 signs of the Zodiac. Yeah you know this one.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - (this has yuri in it) The series is divided into four story arcs, in each of which Utena comes to face a different challenge at Ohtori Academy (Enoki Films calls it "Otori Junior High School"). In all of them, Utena must defend her title as the owner of the Rose Bride, with the intention of protecting Anthy. The duels almost always occur when someone with the Rose Crest ring challenges the current Engaged, though the Engaged may challenge other Duelists as well. No refusal is accepted. The matches occur in the dueling arena, a large, high platform in the academy's outskirts, which is only open to duelists. The Rose Bride pins roses to the Duelists' jackets. They then swordfight, until one duelist wins by knocking away the opponent's rose with his or her blade.

I loved Love Hina. One of my favorites of all time. Actually, after that, I've started liking that type of genre because it's slapstick comedy, romantic, and Benny-Hill-like.

I've watched Blood+ - first saw it in Adult Swim, and wanting to watch it more, I looked for the torrents. Totally addicting but lots of gore.

I only read Air the manga. I've not seen the anime yet but I will definitely watch.

I'm actually with you, Tareith, about mecha types, but one thing I actually started watching also was Bakuretsu Tenshi or Burst Angel (according to Funimation) and started liking it. But mostly the genre I watch is romantic comedy, with slapstick, and even ecchi scenes.

Here's some movies I've actually just downloaded from BakaBT, read their plot, and wanted to check out:

Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka - Jun'ichi Nagase attends a prestigious high school. He has the nickname Geno Killer since he was rebellious in middle school. This is used, inadvertently, to help a girl named Yuuhi Katagiri from trouble. She later transfers to his school, and in order to protect Yuuhi from danger, Jun'ichi is forced to kiss her. Not understanding what happened, she screams at him. Subsequently, it turns out that Yuuhi is his fiancé as arranged by their parents. Their parents discuss the matter and order them to go out together for a month to restore their relationship. If their relationship does not get better, the engagement will then be canceled.

Girls Bravo - Girls Bravo features a young male student named Yukinari Sasaki who was teased and bullied by girls to the point that he developed an allergic reaction, breaking out in hives whenever he comes into contact with a female. One day, when he comes back from school, he gets kicked into his bathtub by Kirie and is transported to "Seiren", a mysterious world with a mostly female population. While Seiren is featured in several episodes, the majority of the series takes place in Japan.

Juushin Enbu: Hero Tales - a period piece, Jūshin Enbu features Taitou, a young man who hates the empire that rules at the time, with his sister Laila as they learn of a mysterious power Taitou holds, unbeknownst to him. Taitou is the incarnation of a mysterious star that grants him a huge amount of power that he has yet to fully master. Joining them is Ryuukou, who has power similar to Taitou, just more honed.

Hope that helps a bit, I'm still looking for new anime so always on the lookout. :)
Back to top Go down
http://ihavecramps.com
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 am

Heroic Age and Hero Tales are the only ones listed so far I haven't seen, both of which are added to the list. ^^

Akane-iro was very cute, I really enjoyed it. Burst Angel was surprisingly addictive. No idea if we're gonna get a second season/plotline but here's to hoping.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - Lonestar, check out this one. It's a vampire story that was off the radar for most people and honestly, one of the best ones.

Good series I stumbled across more recently:
Hatsukoi Limited - Multiple love stories all in the same series. Really loved it.
Spice and Wolf (both seasons) - Stupidly good comedy about a merchant that befriends an ancient wolf spirit.
Canaan - If you liked Noir or Madlax, etc; check it out. Uber girls with guns series.
Back to top Go down
Kith

Kith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 4:59 pm

I am thankful to see a number of titles being mentioned that I love but would have caused my list of 5 to grow. :P
Fruit basket: Love this one though you have to read the manga to see how it all ends..not the way you may think.

Akira: ..well let me put it to you this way..I had a character in a D&D game named Tetsura who had a cat named Kanada. Na, I don't like Akira at all :P

I have seen clips from Shingetsutan Tsukihime . It does look interesting.

I have to add 2 more titles to the ones my little girl loved:
Ohran Koko Host Club and Petite Princess Yucie. I was telling her how we are talking about anime and she asked if I had mentioned "OK club" so to appease her I mention two more of her favorites.
Back to top Go down
Raijin Tsuji

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 pm

i was suprised to not see Photon the idiotic saga- its quite possibly the most hilarious anime ive seen next to Utina.

Hellsing the ultimate series- its about a vampire call alucard(dracula backwards) who works for a orginization that hunts other vampires. there are two different series the original and ultimate which is the manga directly made into an anime.

Basilisk_Its about ninjas(EVERYONE LOVES NINJA ANIMES!) two clans the iga and yagyu i believe its been a while sense ive watched this one. Well they are always trying to find away around a treaty made by hattori hanzo(famous ninja/sword crafter depending on which lore you wanna go by). But the two strongest well the two ninjas who have the two strongest ninjutsu abilities from each clan fall in love and fight to stay together while keeping peace between the clan. good story great action.

Have to mention the most bloody anime out there lol elfen leid- short anime 13 episodes but the story is decent but action wise is top notch first episode i was laughing so hard i almost leaked( i laugh at blood and gore).

black lagoon- a great anime about a typical Japanese man who always kept his head down at work never done nothing extraoridnary and got selected to deliver an item to someone. of course it was a setup by his company he was supposed to die, but the people who found him was a merc squad who are out to make money and screw over anyone they can in the process. the story was good but the comedy/action is where this anime really shines.

Historys strongest disciple kenichi-action/martial arts- this is about a young boy kenichi who is in middle school who is always bullied at his karate club. one day he sees this girl being attack by some thugs tries to help her, he doesnt succeed. Comes to find out she is really really amazing at martial arts. She gets him to come to her grandpa's gym(which has the worlds strongest martial art teachers) where he learns about 6 different fighting styles. Its really good i could keep going but that would ruin it for other people.

I wanna keep going but i think thats my limit lol TIME FOR POST NUMBER TWO!

Edited: Please don't use the word jap....spell it out as Japanese or use JP for short!
Back to top Go down
Kith

Kith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 3:37 pm

"Have to mention the most bloody anime out there lol elfen leid"

Berserk beats it I am afraid. :P

I love Hellsing but it is one of those with two fan camps. S1 or S2. I like both about equal to be honest. Alexander is a lot more polished in S2 and it is manga based. S1 though had better development for a few lesser characters I felt. ( Like Walter)
Hellsing , Cowboy bebpop, Trigun and a few others are such classics that you really can not call yourself an anime fan with out seeing them. ( these sorts are worthy of being called otaku as they have yet to mature into real anime fans :P )

Photon is cool and I would recommend Excel Saga to you ( it does slow down a bit along the way) or desert punk ( like the first 3 to 4 episodes only..last half of its run blew chunks imo)

I love Kenichi, I was really getting into it when my pc blew up ( DAMN YOU SCRAPPED PRINCESS !! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!)
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey, no hating on Scrapped Princess just because your pc wasn't cool enough to handle the awesome. Hehe

Photon is cute and Excel Saga is just insane fun. I mean, come on...when you lose a voice actress because it's hard enough to damage her voice...you have to check it out. Besides, how can you not love menchi?
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Favorite series/Suggestions   Favorite series/Suggestions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Menchi is great...forgot about Excel Saga...such a funny one!

Totally forgot about Kiddy Grade...loved that anime so much, and it has one of my fav songs for its ending credits!