Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada Empty
PostSubject: Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada   Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 10:32 pm

A direct bid against Blizzard that we're gonna try to take you down, SE has some heavy-steel-balls, but I hope what they say is true, "that its gonna be serious competition for once" instead of all these other MMOs that can barely hold onto 200k subs that have kinda said the same thing.

The pay-as-you-use items I'm curious about, like I wonder if they'll go as far as selling their own gil, since that was something that was always in high demand until they got in under control, and also of note the only MMO that ever got the botting, and gil selling to practically stop and disappear!

The more soloing part is a given, cause that is the way almost every MMO is headed, "Online-Solo-Adventure w/ Multi-Player Chat" The only thing I see as a worry with this statement is the power ones PC will need, cause directly challenging WoW's subs...well if you want those players to jump ship they'll need a much better PC than they have or a PS3. Or just generate a whole new population of 13mil players...hehe

Quote :

Square Enix president outlines move to outplay Blizzard’s dominant MMO

Square Enix is positioning Final Fantasy XIV as a serious rival to Blizzard’s World of Warcraft series, company president Yoichi Wada has revealed.

In an interview with Develop, Wada disclosed the full extent of Square Enix’s ambitions for the upcoming Final Fantasy MMO, and indicated that Blizzard’s need to – eventually – build a full World of Warcraft sequel could be a real test for the studio.

“WoW is a tough competitor, but whether you are talking about EverQuest, Ultima or Lineage there has never been a company that has a continuously successful number one and two MMO,” he said, speaking of that transition to a full sequel.

Asked if he thought Final Fantasy XIV was a serious rival to World of Warcraft’s throne, Wada said “yes, but the flipside is that they are a tough competition.”

With the MMO set for release on PC and PS3, Wada touched on the impact the Final Fantasy brand will have on consumer choice.

“We believe there is a number of people that will stay attached to each title, but we are optimistic in that sense for Final Fantasy,” he said.

Wada went on to outline the subscription and microtransaction models that FFXIV will employ, adding the company is looking to improve on the Final Fantasy XI system.

“The basic model hasn't changed,” he said. “It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy.

“For FFXI we didn't initially set up the item transaction model that well – although the demand for it was high. We thought that it would be a benefit for users, but that we wouldn't be able to charge.

“We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game. But there were too few items in FFXI – however we don't want to take it to the other extreme entirely for FFXIV.

“And also with regards the game design, FFXI was based on parties and playing in groups – but of course that means the advantage is players cannot play alone. So to formulate a party you needed to find a player with a similar skillset, yet it's not always easy to find those kinds of players. In FFXIV we have made that part much easier - so people can enjoy much more on their own. We've made it easier in that way.”

Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada   Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 11:36 pm

“It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy."

That may have just killed it for me. If there is going to be an item mall with real items (not just cosmetic) I'm out. A player's financial status should have no bearing on the ingame character, period. I'm fine with respec, race, sex, nation, w/e change but actual items like exp boosts or gear, forget it. No edge should be given to someone engaging in RMT. It's exactly what FFXI spent so much time fighting against and I sure as hell don't want to see them flip-flop like that. Still, I've got faith in SE and I hope they don't do this. Time will tell.

As far as competing with WoW, they've got a solid chance. FFXI's total population was at like 1.3m shortly after launch (I think it was around the 2-3 month mark). They just failed to treat the non-jp playerbase like they were anything more than guests till it was far, far too late. I personally don't think they'll be able to reach the numbers for a long time after launch for one simple reason: hardware requirements.

Thanks for the info, as always.

Heads up, new SE money: Crysta
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada   Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 12:35 am

Yeah, I don't think SE would go as far as offering virtual items beyond cosmetic, or even gil. They spent far too much time and money with their Task-Force; not only consistently eliminating RMT but increasingly keeping it from returning in FFXI. They know how to combat it, so I'm sure it'll all be built into FFXIV from the start and won't be an issue at all.

The Crysta Currency really sounds like a good idea though which went into greater detail and speculation through that link and others!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada   Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XIV a serious WoW rival, says Wada
Page 1 of 1