Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLinksInfoMapsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Back Again... {and leaving!}

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

Back Again... {and leaving!} Empty
PostSubject: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 pm

So of all things I'm back playing WoW once again... I defeated Dragon Age the other day and I need a break from that before I decided to play through it again, which I may several times for all the other paths and conversation choices one can make!

Something about WoW keeps drawing me back, and I do wanna get my PLD to lvl 80 and get a bunch of gold saved up for my Worgen once Cataclysm ever gets here. A new Classic world to explore will be rather fun I think. I thought about FFXI, but then the having to spend hrs in each party to get anywhere kinda drove me away from that sub button.

I just like to run around and do things at a fun pace, and help other players when they ask with quests or run them through an instance and such. Most of all I can get in and play for an hr or two and walk away feeling satisfied cause I did get a lot accomplished.

Anywho, I'm on Bladefist, playing my Paladin Mihn, at lvl 72 where I last left off, and I just ventured over to the quest chains in Howling Fjord.

Last edited by Khalus on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Enjoy it while you can. I'm done with WoW myself but if you like it, knock yourself out. My roommate's playing again so i get to hear various things from time to time.

I'm still on dragon age. On my 4th? character now. Haven't finished it, don't want to. I've got one rogue archer up to 14, one rogue dual wielder to 18, one mage to 19, and now i'm on my second mage. Wasn't happy with how the last one turned out so I'm redoing her. Finding out how skills work is also making a huge impact.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 pm

During my last break from WoW, I played and defeated like a dozen different 1P games and tried like 3-4 other F2P MMOs I got beta invites too, or just heard about. All of which we're ok for a time, but I got bored of them quickly or couldn't stand the controls. Thats one thing about WoW I love is the extremely fluid movements and animations, and its prolly one of the huge points that keep players returning after attempting to play something else, at least its one point for me.

Another are the achievements, which are kinda-sorta pointless, but damnit I really enjoy working on and trying to unlock them. Gives me a ton of extra PvE things to do.

Well enjoy Dragon Age, it has a rather good ending at least the one I chose or earned, or whatever. I do plan to attempt more in the future, but I already put almost 70 hrs into the first run and thats enough for now. This last break taught me that I must play an MMO as often as possible cause these lonely single player games are not at all filling the void, heck they make it larger and more vacant no matter how good they may be!

Oh did ya hear the latest or well I found new info on SW:TOR...I'm pretty much not interested in that MMO at all anymore. Its going to be a 1P Online game, and the MMO Elements they talk about will be seeing other players on occasion while running between flashpoints and instances...ugh!
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 pm

As far as the SW TOR, i think that comment was off the mark or taken out of context. I'm sure there will be plenty of online interaction and a real MMO but the story will be more restrictive, like maybe AoC. Tho the devs said that's not true either, since they are working out converstation sequences where multiple players can pick responses and progress it. We'll see but I highly doubt it'll be a single player game with little to no online interaction. It'd go 100% against the idea of a subscription based MMO. The only think that keeps people online and paying is interaction with others.

As far as WoW, it was fun and I enjoyed a lot of my time there but I'm just tired of Blizzard's formula, the way things are, the way they are developing. Endgame raiding: I've done. Dailies till you're blue in the face: done. PVP: WoW has PVP? Really? Unsatisfying crafting: Done and Done. Anything left except level alts? nope. This is why I don't care about the up and coming expansion. It's more of the same. While a lot of people like this, I am not one of them. I want story, a slew of things to do endgame other than raiding, a crafting system that means something. Player housing, building a reputation for yourself on one character, not 12 alts...there's a lot missing from WoW for me. That said, it's a fun game for what it is; so enjoy it.

I go through console/pc games pretty quickly and tend to store them up. I enjoy them for the story/plot and pretty graphics. Mainly, things i can't get from most MMOs. Most are a couple weeks and done, a few i'll keep playing and only a handful ever reach the 200+ hour mark. Most recently those would be Fallout 3 (with tons of cosmetic custom mods), Demon's Souls, and Tales of the Abyss. Dragon Age is heading that way but we'll see. I've only made it past the point where you gather the 4 groups and just recently started a new mage to make her right. After that, I've got Way of the Samurai 3 waiting on me, along with a handful of other games. Star Trek Online open beta is next month too.

Tho everything gets dropped for FFXIV. With any luck, I'll get into beta somehow. If not, I'll just wait until launch.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:04 am

Tareith wrote:

Tho everything gets dropped for FFXIV. With any luck, I'll get into beta somehow. If not, I'll just wait until launch.

Yup, more than likely, but even this one I'm still just sitting back and awaiting solid info on. Not gonna get too hyped over it like I was at first, or at least try not too. That's another reason why I'm back playing WoW again and other games...cause its something to do which is kinda fun at times to pass the long wait.

It doesn't sound like we'll be getting FFXIV until late fall or Winter '10 and that is a long time away yet!
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Ya but they said they wanted a longer beta than FFXI had, which was 6 months. *crosses fingers*

Either way, I'm ready for it when it comes. Thankfully, the odds are they won't rush it like 90% of all the other MMOs in the past 5 years. I keep reading what info comes out but none of it really matters much to me. After the failed hype for vanguard, darkfall, wow, aoc, aion, and warhammer; I think anything (good or bad) shouldn't be taken at face value until it actually launches. As long as they don't come out and say they are putting in something I lothe (such as cash shops), I'll try it.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 am

With the release of ICC 5-mans', and the Dungeon Finder which is actually pretty nice, I've been spending a great deal of my time running instances for Triumph Badges to purchase new gear and a new weapon which I finally got tonight! Its sweet...

Back Again... {and leaving!} Axe
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:37 pm

My roommate mentioned the changes with the auto-queue system and the badge/gold rewards you'd get from using it. Pretty good move on blizzard's part to add a good carrot for the more established characters to get back into instances.

I'm still working on DOA. On like my 8th character (restarted to get all the romances, and remake with new hair/eyes) and enjoying it. Thinking seriously about actually finishing the game with this one, depends on what other mods come out. So far, it's got a good amount for a month old game but I do miss how much stuff there was for games like FO3.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 pm

You mean DAO? Yeah its a fun one but the length and so much story I really needed a break from it. I'll play it again someday though once more substantial mods for it come out.

As for the Dungeon Finder in WoW, its quite good and makes running instances so much easier to get going. Before it would take me all day if not all week to get ppl together to do one, and now I can run them all 2-3times a day and get tons of badges for not only PvP gear which you see in the image, but I just found out that Tier 9 gear is also available from the same badges and much cheaper. Once I get this full PvP set I plan to get the T9 set which is 210 total badges, and I only need 50 more to complete the Furious set.

Only two things kinda suck about the dungeon finder; is that it not only keeps placing me in the same instances far too often, but I loved running lower lvl players or alts through instances, and now hardly anyone ever asks anymore, just click find a dungeon group...heh
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Ya, DAO. Fingers weren't responding too well it would seem.

The idea of cross-server queuing for anything (BG, Instances, w/e) is a good idea that most any MMO could greatly benefit from. I give blizzard kudos for the mass amounts of improvements they've made to the genre over the years and hopefully, some of this will catch on with everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 1:03 am

And now that that is over with, I feel empty....dunno if achievements are doing it for me anymore, especially since they really have no significance...ho hum
I really dunno why I keep returning to this game when I known the usual outcome...sigh'

Back Again... {and leaving!} 3000

Another thing that has been bugging me is once again this guild I joined isn't at all what I was led to believe. Sure they were all nice at first when I joined, but for the past week I can't seem to be chosen to do anything; 5-man, 10-man when they ask for members, nor will anyone join me for any quest or dungeon when I ask, and worst of all its like I'm invisible to just about everyone, even the person that recruited me.

Whenever I ask a question about anything or try to join in the conversations or even answer someone's question I get ignored, nobody says hi after I do when I log in or bye even when I'm about to leave or whatever. I even had a somewhat heated debate with several members in whispers that all told me since I'm new to the guild and nobody knows me yet; that that is pretty much how it is, and we ignore new initiates until at some point I get promoted too member and then magically everyone will start acknowledging I'm there...that is ****ing stupid! {Seriously how else does one get to know another: by talking to them and playing with them...sheesh!}

Anyway, its things like this that really piss me off about most MMOs, there is absolutely no community remaining, and nobody ever tries to communicate with each other on an intellectual level. I am so eager for FFXIV now, and I really dunno if I can keep up with this WoW bullshit every day, and really I've only just used about 2.5 weeks of the 8 weeks I just bought....its really disappointing!

It is very tempting to return to FFXI and never again look upon anything but that and FFXIV. FFXI {and more than likely FFXIV} is the only MMO that I know of that has the feeling of 'community' anymore!
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Problem with WoW guilds is they are full of wowbies. Like any game, it takes luck to find a good guild but the mindset i get from the general players when in WoW is very disappointing. Thus one of the problems with catering to the lowest common denominator.

I've developed a mindset for MMOs when joining guilds. I'll join for random chatter and if I get lucky, I'll chatter back. If I like the people, I'll bend over backwards to help out whoever needs it when I can. It's the best way to get to know people imho. Attitude is everything. Give me an unskilled healer who is friendly and wants to learn over a skilled healer with a pissy attitude anyday (or any class really, I'm just used to being healer lead for raids/guild functions).
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 11:42 am

Ok, so I've kinda sorta sucked it up, quit that horrible guild, and took a few days off. I'm back tonight and working on achievements again, mainly "The Loremaster" which is finishing all the quests in every zone, well not every single one, but close enough. There were a few zones that were down too just 1 or 2 remaining to fill the bar, but I finally got them after I contacted a Blizz GM and he looked at my account and told which quests I had missed....so nices!

Anyway, I'm down to just 3 remaining quests in Blade's Edge Mountain which required Revered with the Consortium to unlock. I just finished grinding that rep and I'm off to get those quests and get this done!

I'm feeling much better not being in a guild, and just doing my own thing not worrying about pleasing others or playing by their so-called rules!
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 11:43 am

I are now a Loremaster!

Here I was spending hr-upon-hr-upon-hr last night farming Consortium rep to end up with a few quests that required insane amounts of kills for keys that have a 5% or less drop rate,{sometimes had to kill in upwards of 200+ mobs to get one drop!} and in the end I didn't even get the item I needed from the elite, so I'd of had to farm more keys...argh

Looked online one more time to see if there were anymore quests I may have missed and sure enough, stupid me I overlooked it. I could have skipped farming all that rep, and getting pissed to all hell cause the damned keys were not dropping....sigh'

Anyway, finally!!!!

Back Again... {and leaving!} Loremaster
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Nice, gratz on loremaster. pita to get but it's cool

Glad you left that guild, they seemed to suck anyway. Seriously, wow players are some of the most closed minded people i've ever seen. Between guild and raid/group requirements, it's absurd. Healing meters for healers, for example. What a totally worthless metric.
Back to top Go down
Ianthe Reine

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:53 pm

There are only four things keeping me from returning to WoW:

-Lack of job/money
-Fear I will get bored of it way too quickly to make it worth playing
-Fear of WoW getting in the way of things that need to get done in life or life making WoW hard to play
-Fear that I wont find a guild that I like as much as my previous one before I get bored of the game.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Know how ya feel, its easy to want to return to WoW, but once you start to think about it or get in there and start playing, everything changes!
Back to top Go down
Kith

Kith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 12:03 am

I have been playing old FF pre mmo games. (ff12 right now))80 number 9 came a week before the patch and what I saw in the patch made me realize something about blizz....they are crack pushers. They give you just enough to keep you there for a few weeks then promise all sorts of flavors of pixie dust will be arriving either next patch or next expansion. Now that is all fine and good but not when you have to deal with a population of 80% that lack the ability to communicate in a proper fashion. You don't have to share your life story but it takes less time to say hi then it does to open your mail.
I'm also tired of finishing off a set of spiffy epics just to be told that a month or two later they are garbage. FFXI seldom upgraded gear (( well in the first 5 years)) and most still had fun trudging through sky, limbus, and dyna for years on in. Why? because it was less about the pixels and more about the journey. And that is where I think Blizz has failed. No one cares if you cleared Kara or can recall ever line from the opera event. Or if you had a good time in Naxx. No, all any one cares about in Wow is what new T set will be out next week or which class will be hit with the nerf bat this time. I for one am finished with Wow (( other then holidays..I still enjoy those )) FFXIV will have me no matter the hiccups . As long as it has a fraction of the personality of FFXI I'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 12:28 am

Blizzard only knows how to use a few carrots and sadly, hasn't developed past that. Reputation grinding or hop on the gear/badge treadmill, that's it.

The big thing about FFXI vs WoW in regards to gear, is that Blizzard runs a monty haul MMO. It started with vanilla and they kept doing it over and over again. FFXI's upgrades were sideways upgrades with the occasional upgrade in every way. WoW on the other hand, each upgrade will boost all of the stats on the item which quickly cascades to stupid levels (which is why the item level is so freakin high). People would pay insane amounts for the difference between +5 int and +6 with all other stats staying the same, but in WoW if it's not a +5% upgrade across the board it's not worth going for.

Combined with the homogenizing of stats and classes in WoW, reducing any chance of different focuses between the same classes, and you'll end up with what WoW's got; every caster wants the same robe, regardless of focus or class. Is there any valid reason that an item should have literally, every single stat you care about on it? I miss the days when you could focus on damage, acc, crit, etc. Trade-offs are what make it possible to break away from cookie cutter builds and distinguish mage A from mage B, other than the color of pew pew they shoot out. Granted, I know I have oversimplified it a little, but not by much.

IMO, they did it because they are lazy and/or they don't want to put a slew of interesting and different items out anymore. Prime example is just look at the skins for the non-tier sets. It's cool to finally be able to match (and not be Rainbow Brite the paladin) but not because those are all the options they've made.
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic
Khalus Akuhei

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 1:21 am

You know I'm getting really close to just uninstalling WoW for the final time. I dunno if I really care much about Cataclysm anymore, even as a Worgen it'll maybe be fun until you reach level 60, but then its back to all the old again until you get to lvl 80. Blizzard has a ton of nice changes coming for that expansion in regards to char progression, but it'll still be entirely revolved around tiered gear.

That is one thing I loved so much about FFXI, is that there is so much gear that can be used no matter what your lvl and you never get locked out of anything. Nobody asks what your gear score is, or what achievements you've earned to get the ok to join them, and you're just as good as anyone else in the first set of AF gear from 52-60 at those levels and at lvl 75. Sure the AF2 sets and the newest gear from the 3 mini-expansions, plus this new Synergy and Evolith party-based-crafting-system is probably insanely better, but none of its required to enjoy all the content FFXI offers at any time!

I hope that we see this same style in FFXIV as well, but I did read one of the developers mentioning that there will a slew of more gear option in FFXIV than FFXI ever had. That kinda worries me a bit...
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 1:31 am

I wouldn't worry. SE's always went with the less is more idea when designing gear for FFXI and I don't see that changing for FFXIV. The illusion of a big increase is just as powerful as a real increase in overall power. Baby steps also really helps show how much more powerful a skilled group is, even in crappy gear. Tactics, alert and resourceful players make a huge impact when you can't just power through it with gear alone. Which is exactly one of the reasons why FFXI has been one of the hardest MMOs out there (CoP anybody?).
Back to top Go down
Ianthe Reine

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 am

I think of what the devs meant when they said their were a slew of more gear options is that if you can't get A, your could get B, C or D and be just as good....after typing that I realize there are many pros and cons coming to my mind too fast for me to catch.
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 2:22 am

Multiple paths to similar gear progression levels. It's totally SE's approach and one that I love. You aren't locked into one set path to get to the next tier (ala WoW). Give me 6+ different ways to get to top end and you'll have a happier player base with much less burnout.

That said, I wonder what they'll do about level caps in FFXIV. Even tho we did get the game much later than the japanese did, I enjoyed that by the time I got there, the level cap was always 75. I know the original design was to go much higher and they changed that idea.
Back to top Go down
Ianthe Reine

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 2:29 am

I always hated how Blizzard kept raising the level cap. It made previous content pointless and only there for pure nostalgia instead of something to be enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
Tareith

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 2:32 am

Well, it's not like they have a reason to revist old material after you've leveled up the alts you like. Currently, everything prior to northrend is old world and dead. Last time I resubbed, it was a ghost town everywhere. Doesn't really lend itself to helping a new player base grow when you're soloing everything in a game that wasn't designed to be a single player RPG till the current level cap area. Hell, even EQ2 was busier with a much, much smaller player base.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back Again... {and leaving!}   Back Again... {and leaving!} Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back Again... {and leaving!}
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next